Friday, June 10, 2011

Cantala, camp, comp', crazyness

Well hello hello hello.

It has been AGES since I last blogged.
Well, since I last tapped away at a key board a lot has happened. In particular, I have finally been accepted into my school's auditioned choir. I remember my first audition, which went pretty horribly. I couldn't stop shaking and stumbled and stuttered my way through the national anthem, my heart like a stone in my chest. My second audition..... well, it never happened, a mere week before the audition I fell ill and couldn't sing for AGES. My third audition was no better. I was SO convinced I was going to fail, but hey, don't count your chickens before they've hatched. However, I must have done better than I thought, because one day after school I opened my email account and there was something from a certain Mr Stewart. And once I had read the email I read it again. And again. And again. Just too make sure. Then with a shriek like a banshee I leapt into the air and stared doing a crazy victory dance.
It was the best moment of my life.
It was epic.

The first practice was awful. I'm crap with people skills. Wasn't always, but two years in a bottom of the barrel public school can do that to you. I came in, late as usuall, and got a scolding from the choir master. Not a great start. I completely stuffed up the test thingumabob in which your vocal range is checked. I didn't even turn up to the first few group music lessons.
I. Was. Terrified.
Still am. The last term has been an absolute nightmare, with Mondays and Thursdays being my least favorite days of the week. And the other girls, wow. They are ALL* incredibly charismatic, incredibly good singers and most of them are older then me. If any one of them had to run for priminister I'm sure they'd get it. I'm NOT a lesbian (though there's nothing wrong with being gay) but these guys are so awesome. Its like being in the same room as the queen. Who has been meshed with Sauron. And Gandalf. And some amazing opera singer. But THEN after surviving my first half term we had a choir camp. I freaked. Sure, I had done the practice, learnt my lines, not gotten sick. Well, not THAT sick anyways. But we were going on a camp, a sleep over camp, in which I would be miles from anyone I knew and trapped in the same house with three dozen terrifying teenaged girls. And my music teacher. And out scary as choir master.Not cool.

Oh, wow. I sure have babbled on alot about this and that, but not about the actual practices.
What's to say?
So, every morning or afternoon we have practice, everyone hangs around outside 57 until someone with a key turns up (or sometimes the door is left open), and then we all storm the room, dump our bags and shoes; grab our music and then hang around until six of our number have gotten up and positioned the benches and piano. This is then followed by a warm up, roll call and sometimes a game. Line tag is my favorite. What line tag is, is a game where you have two taggers who are holding hands, and whenever they tag someone, that someone must join either end of the 'line'. The objective of the game is to be the last person who is not included in this human chain. It is quite a ruckus, including much squealing, yelling and falling over. Once we have done a few warm ups, we are given one of the songs we have been doing to work on, and this continues for a good half hour/ forty five minutes, sometimes an hour or even a whole session! Once this is done we can all head off in our separate directions.

Well, that being a rather long blog entry, I guess I had better stop there.
Until next time :)

* well, MOST of them

1 comment: